FAQ 600








Why should I use an IICRC certified restoration company?
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC) sets the industry standards for inspection, cleaning and restoration service industries. All of Advanced Construction’s technicians have been trained and certified by the IICRC and will professionally test materials and apply the appropriate restoration techniques required to return the items to their pre-loss condition.

Will you need access to my property while I am gone?
Once the water is extracted and the drying has begun, Advanced Construction will need to monitor and control the moisture and humidity levels in the structure every day. Until the environment is returned to normal, mold remains a threat. With your permission, we will provide a lock box with your house key so we can do our job correctly when you are away. You can feel safe knowing that Advanced Construction performs background checks and drug testing on all of our employees. We are fully licensed, insured and bonded.

Who are all the people involved with my claim?
The insurance agent, who sold you the policy, is the insurance company’s representative.
The insurance adjuster (or claim adjuster), who is assigned to your claim, will work with us to approve and pay for the repairs based upon your insurance policy coverage limits. The mortgage company may be involved to assist with insuring your property is repaired back to pre-loss condition.
Advanced Construction, your restoration contractor, has been hired by you and will work with all the different parties to mitigate and repair your damaged property.

Do I need to move out of my property during the restoration process?
If your home is deemed uninhabitable due to damages from a fire or water loss then your homeowners/renters policy usually covers some of your additional living expenses if you have to move temporarily because of a covered peril. ALE coverage typically pays the cost of staying in a hotel, motel, or other temporary shelter. Be sure to read your policy carefully or talk to your agent or insurance company to understand ALE coverage limitations. Policies will pay your additional living expenses only for a certain amount of time and only up to a specific dollar limit.

What happens during the repair process?
The Project Coordinator and the Project Manager assigned to your project will be scheduling the repairs through Advanced Construction crews and pre-approved vendors to insure the highest quality repairs. If additional damage repairs are required, the Project Manager will submit a supplemental estimate to your insurance adjuster for approval before work begins. Any upgrades or changes requested by you that are not part of the damage repairs will be paid in full to Advanced Construction before work begins.

Do you guarantee your work?

Yes, we guarantee, in writing, our workmanship for one years. Any materials we use are usually guaranteed by the manufacturer for one year, and we honor that guarantee.

Will I have access to my belongings while they are in storage?
Yes. With advance notice we can schedule time for an Advanced Construction representative to meet with you and provide access to your requested items.

How long do I have to file a claim?
Rules and procedures vary state to state and company by company. Check with your Insurance Agent for details based on your current policy.

What is a re-adjustment (Re-Adjust)?
If the assigned insurance adjuster assessed the damages to your property and denies your claim stating that you have little to no damage, you are entitled to a second opinion.  The assigned adjuster may have little experience in the field or may not have taken the extra time to assess the damaged area thoroughly.  He/she may have even misrepresented to save the insurance company money.  Unfortunately this does happens in this industry, they work for the insurance company after all.  It is always a good idea to have a certified restoration professional like Advanced Construction assess the damage(s) to your property prior to calling you insurance company and represent you on the day of your initial adjustment.

Can I profit from my insurance claim?
The answer is simple, no.  If you are collecting multiple estimates in hopes of finding someone who will perform the project for less than what the insurance company has agreed to pay, both you and the company that agrees to comply with this will be facing serious federal charges for committing insurance fraud.  IT IS A FELONY TO PROFIT FROM AN INUSRANCE CLAIM.  Insurance companies take this very seriously and always make sure the offenders are punished to the full extent of the law.

Do I need to acquire multiple estimates to submit to my insurance company?
No.  Sure your insurance company will ask that you gather and send them three (3) different estimates however your insurance company cannot make you get multiple bids nor can they make you use “their” contractor; or force you to incur the costs of bringing your property to code compliance.  They will ask that you gather three estimates so that they can save money by approving the lowest bid, they do not care if the estimates are apples to apples.   With an insurance claim all you are required to pay is your deductible unless you chose to upgrade something.

Herein lies the problem, when you estimate a normal renovation project you are provided a list of specifications to qualify your estimates and ensure that you are estimating everything as expected.   With a property loss claim, there are no detailed specifications nailed to the wall.  There is no way of telling what each contractor will be leaving out in order to give you the lowest possible estimate.  Unless you are a contractor, you probably don’t know or care what materials are being used so long as it is the best possible roof, siding, cabinets, doors, etc…  Are they replacing your drip edge on your roof?  Are they replacing you kitchen cabinets with the like, kind and quality?  Another thing to consider is who is working on your property?  Are they licensed?  Do they perform post build inspections?  How long have they been in the business?  The only winning party is the insurance company if you decide to submit multiple estimates.

Your number one goal should be to hire a knowledgeable contractor like Advanced Construction who will act on your behalf and look out for your best interest ensuring that you get everything that is entitled to you and guarantee that you are getting quality service and products.

Top of Page


What do I do if I don’t have any insurance on my property?
If your property is uninsured, you may have to pay to repair or replace your property out of your own pocket.
You might be able to get help from your community or from assistance organizations like the American Red Cross. Call the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767 or visit its website at www.redcross.org. If the area is a federal-declared disaster area, you might be able to get help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 or visit www.fema.gov.

When do I pay my deductible?
The deductible is the property owners’ responsibility to pay out of pocket and is due to Advanced Construction before any services begin.

What is Replacement Cost Coverage (RCV)?
Replacement cost is what you would pay for the item at today’s cost. It replaces the item with new without deducting for depreciation.

What is Actual Cash Value (ACV)?
Actual cash value is what you would pay for a similar item at today’s cost minus depreciation (replacement cost minus depreciation).

What is depreciation?
A decrease in value due to wear and tear or age.
Recoverable depreciation is refunded when all of the repairs are completed.
Non-recoverable depreciation is not refunded and will have to be paid by the property owner directly to Advanced Construction.

How much do you charge?
We use the innovative Xactimate Estimating Software for all emergency service projects.  Xactimate is the industry leading replacement cost estimating software for property claims which is designed to standardize the billing and pricing for the restoration industry.

Price lists are updated monthly and are specific to the area in which the property is located. The services provided are estimated using this software and standardized price lists, to ensure fair and comparable billing.

I have received payment from the insurance company however the lienholder’s name has been included. What do I do?
If the insured property is subject to a lien, your insurance company is required to protect both the insured’s interest and the lien holder’s interest when payment is made for damage to the property. All checks issued with additional payees must be endorsed by all parties. At your request, we are happy to contact your lienholder and provide them with all necessary documentation so they can process the payment in a timely manner.

What is a Supplement?
Once building materials have been removed additional damages may be found, items may have been overlooked during the adjustment or your property currently does not comply with your building code requirements.  In this case you are permitted to submit a supplement to your insurance company for the additional costs that you are entitled to.


Top of Page


Fires produce temperatures greater than 1200 degrees, along with smoke and hot gases. At times, firefighters must eliminate the heat, smoke and hot gases before they can enter to put out the fire. They must ventilate quickly (open roof, windows, et cetera) to help reduce fire spread. Often, firefighters must open walls to find the “hidden” fires, to completely extinguish the fire.

House Fire Series - Kitchen

What do I do after the fire is out?
After fire department leaves, the structure becomes your responsibility. Remove all valuables if you cannot live in the house. Should a firefighter or fire investigator be on the scene, they will accompany you.
You are responsible for hiring a company to come secure doors and windows and other areas against unauthorized entry and ensuring no further damage occurs to the structure or contents. Advanced Construction offers all of these services to you 24/7.
If you own or are purchasing the property, contact your insurance company and agent as soon as possible. If you are renting or leasing the property, you must also contact the owner.
Don’t make permanent repairs until an adjuster has inspected the damage. Most policies cover the cost of necessary temporary repairs, so save your receipts for materials and labor. It’s a good idea to take pictures of the damage before making temporary repairs. Read your policy or talk to your agent or insurance company for more information.

Can I turn on my Heating & Cooling System?
It is not advised to turn on your heating and cooling system until it has been properly inspected and authorized clearance by an HVAC contractor.

What items should be kept in my possession?
After knowing your family and pets are safe, if possible grab these hard-to-replace items:

  • Cash, Checkbooks, Credit Cards
  • ID, Birth Certificate, Passport, Social Security Card
  • Medications
  • Cell phone
  • Car keys
  • Valuable Jewelry
  • Weapons/Ammunition
  • Private Collections
  • Important Documents, Important Financial Data
  • Computer back-up drive

How do I keep track of items deemed non-restorable?
Advanced Construction will provide you with home/business inventory log sheets.  We recommend listing all items considered non-restorable (including food items).  Once all items have been documented, make a copy for your insurance company and keep one for yourself.  Note: All items in the building should be inventoried and no item should be thrown away without the approval of the insurance company.

Do I have to throw food away after a fire?
A fire may directly or indirectly affect foods in ways that could endanger your health.  Heat can cause jars and cans to split and crack allowing contaminants to enter.  Even if cans and jars appear undamaged, heat can cause the food to spoil.  Smoke and chemicals from the fire and extinguishing system can penetrate Cryovac packaging, plastic wraps of all kinds, and get under bottle caps or screw tops.  Firefighting chemicals can taint food and beverages, and packaged products.  All foods and beverages stored in a permeable packaging such as cardboard, foil, paper, screw top jars or bottles, or plastic wrap should be thrown away. All unwrapped fruits and vegetables should also be thrown away.  Foods that were stored outside the refrigerator and which were exposed to smoke and fumes must be discarded.  Foods in refrigerators or freezers may also be tainted by fumes since refrigerator seals are not airtight.  Throw away foods from the refrigerator or freezer if they have signs of smoke damage, or have off odors or tastes.  Ice, in both serving bins and machines, must be discarded.  Throw away foods that were touched by firefighting chemicals.  These chemicals are very poisonous and cannot be safely washed off foods.  If you are not sure if the food was touched by firefighting chemicals, throw it away.  Throw away disposable single-service utensils (plastic plates, cups etc.) that were exposed to smoke and chemicals.  Never taste food to determine its safety.  Please remember that food unfit for human consumption is also unfit for pets.
When in doubt, throw it out.

Can I turn on my Heating & Cooling System?
It is not advised to turn on your heating and cooling system until it has been properly inspected and authorized clearance by an HVAC contractor.

See Fire Restoration Process

See Classifications of Smoke Damage & Odor

See Influences of Smoke

See Time Related Effects of Smoke Damage & Odors

Top of Page


Water damage

How does water damage my property?
Where abnormal moisture is present, microorganisms will rapidly multiply and cause structural deterioration, create odors, and potentially create serious health issues for building occupants. When a water loss occurs, the single most critical factor in defining the amount of potential damage is the amount of time the structure remains abnormally wet. If abnormal moisture has been present too long, microbial growth will likely occur and many structural items will become un-restorable.

If I have sewage contamination, can my things be cleaned and restored?
When a water intrusion results from any sewage source or flood waters; all highly-porous materials affected such as carpet, underlay, wallboard, insulation, etc. must be removed and disposed of immediately. Some valuable highly-porous items such as paintings, oriental rugs, etc. can be cleaned and restored depending on the amount of damage done to the item.
Most hard surfaces can be cleaned, sanitized and restored back to their original conditions.

How long will it take for my property to dry?
Drying times will differ on each loss due to a number of underlying factors. It is determined by the location and source of water; the types of materials effected, the amount of time the materials have been exposed to water prior to restoration efforts, and the influence of weather conditions.
The average drying time takes anywhere between three (3) to five (5) days, depending on the extent of the damages. If the materials have been exposed to abnormal moisture for an extended period of time, the drying time could take longer.

How do you determine when my property is dry?
Our restoration technicians perform daily monitoring visits and evaluations with state of the art moisture detecting equipment, which allows us to check the moisture content levels in building materials. We will test, evaluate and adjust the drying procedures as needed until the building materials have reached the drying goal.
Remember that even though it may feel dry to the touch, that doesn’t mean that it is!

Do my belongings need to be moved out during the restoration process?
In most cases we will perform “in-place drying” which allows us to dry your furniture and contents in-place. If any items need to be moved out during the drying phase, we will let you know in advance.

What are some common safety hazards?

  • Slips and falls.
  • Electrical shock hazards and gas leaks.
  • Falling debris.
  • Lead and asbestos.
  • Microbial contamination.
  • Confined spaces (such as crawlspaces and attics)
  • Contaminated water
  • Stored chemicals
  • Damaged construction components and materials
  • Household chemicals
  • Commercial or industrial chemical waste
  • Excessive heat
  • Most antimicrobials require the area be vacated by occupants & pets during application and a period of time thereafter.

Can I open my windows during the drying process?
It is not recommended for the property owner to open any windows unless otherwise instructed by one of our representatives. Depending on outdoor conditions, we may use either an open, closed or combination drying system. The more traditional method of drying is a closed drying system which involves the use of dehumidifiers and air movers inside – while keeping the area isolated from outside air.

How will running the drying equipment effect my electric bill?
Your electrical bill will raise slightly during the drying process however many times these costs are covered by your insurance company.

Who is responsible for monitoring the drying equipment?
Our restoration technicians will closely monitor the equipment on a daily basis, adjusting as needed. The equipment is designed to run 24 hours a day and should only be unplugged, moved or turned off by our technicians.

How does the drying out process work?
Air movers are placed strategically around a room to blend the air at the surface of wet materials with other air in the room thereby maximizing the rate of evaporation. Dehumidifiers then remove the moisture that air movers sweep away from wet materials, converts it back into a liquid state and drains it into a sink or drain.

See Water Restoration Process

See Categories of Water Damage

Top of Page


When to Avoid a Restoration Company

Roofing Dictionary

"On behalf of myself and my wet ceiling, I want to thank you very very much for having your guys come over.  They fixed the problem!  Thank you for working with me."
- Denice Wiggins – Manor at Craughwell Village
"Quick attention to all matters in the Craughwell Community. When I met w/the Board earlier in Nov, I communicated the responsiveness & professionalism of the Advanced team."
- Lisa P. – Community Association Manager
"Advanced is Prompt, Courteous; knows what they’re doing, and most of all they Care!"
- Don Kaleta – Claremont Retirement Village
"The Advance Team took control of the water extraction in a quick manner and providing the skill sets, tools and man power to make the restoration repairs."
- Timothy S. Facilities Director – COTA
Advanced Construction

Advanced Construction